Plastics & Food

U.S. John Hopkins Hospital – Plastic Food Containers

This information is being circulated at US Walter Reed Army Medical Centre regarding the use of plastic food containers and “glad wrap”.   Effective immediately:

  • No plastic containers in microwave.
  • No water bottles in freezer.
  • No plastic wrap in microwave.

This ruling is due to the leakage of dioxins from plastics.  Dioxin is a cancer causing chemical.  It is particularly prevalent as a cause of breast cancer.
Dioxins are highly poisonous to the cells of our bodies. Don't freeze your plastic bottles with water in them as this releases dioxins from the plastic.
Recently, Edward Fujimoto, Wellness Program Manager at Castle Hospital was on a TV program to explain this health hazard.  He talked about dioxins and how bad they are for us.  He said that we should not be heating our food in the Microwave using plastic containers.

This especially applies to foods that contain fat.  He said that the combination of fat, high heat, and plastics releases dioxin into the food and ultimately into the cells of the body.

Instead, he recommends using glass, such as Corning Ware, Pyrex or ceramic containers for heating food. You get the same results, only without the dioxin.

So such things as TV dinners, instant ramen and soups, etc. should be removed from the container and heated in something else.
Paper isn't bad but you don't know what is in the paper.  It's just safer to use tempered glass, pyrex or corning ware, etc.

He reminded us that in his area a while ago some of the fast food restaurants moved away from the use of foam containers to paper. The dioxin problem is one of the reasons.  He also pointed out that plastic wrap, such as Saran, is just as dangerous when placed over foods to be cooked in the microwave. As the food is nuked, the high heat causes poisonous toxins to actually melt out of the plastic wrap and drip into the food.  Cover food with a paper towel instead.

Bottled water in the heat

Do not leave bottled water in your car or in the heat.

Plastic bottles, water and heat are a deadly combination.  This is how Sheryl Crow got breast cancer. She appeared on the Ellen show and said the same exact thing. It has now been identified as one of the most common causes of breast cancer, especially in Australia.

A friend whose mother was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and the Doctor told her: women should not drink bottled water that has been left in a car or the heat.

The doctor said that the heat and the plastic of the bottle have certain chemicals that can lead to breast cancer. So please be careful and do not drink bottled water that has been left in a car.

The heat causes toxins from the plastic to leak into the water and they have found these toxins in breast tissue. Use a stainless steel Canteen or a glass bottle when you can!